There are five very easy steps you can take to make people want to return to your business when they have many choices on who they go to for the service you provide.
1. Smile at them; whether you are talking to the customer in person or on the phone a smile goes a long way. Have you ever noticed that you talk differently when you smile? That tone of voice goes a long way with customers, and when the see the smile on your face they feel more appreciated.
2. Really listen to what the customer is asking for. There is nothing more frustrating than asking something of a service professional and then having them not pay attention to what you said and come back with an answer to a different question or no answer at all.
3. Offer solutions; if there is an issue, offer solutions to the customer about what you can do for them. When you listen to the problem and just apologize but don’t then follow up that apology with a solution to the problem, what was the point in the first place?
4. Apologize sincerely; when you or your company makes a mistake, take responsibility for that mistake and say you are sorry. When you don’t offer an apology a customer can feel as though you again weren’t listening or don’t genuinely care that they had a concern that needs correcting.
5. Offer your name; you can easily personalize the interaction by simply giving your name. The customer will feel more like they know you and that they have someone they deal with directly when visiting your company. A personal connection is very important in bringing people back through the doors of your company and obtaining their longterm business.